In this tutorial we will create a license calculator app with print functionality. The print functionality allows us to generate a PDF file in the app and send it via email to e.g. a prospective customer.
The app created in this tutorial will consist of 2 pages. The calculation page and an additional page on which the data of potential customers can be entered. All data collected in the app will be "merged" in the print sheet.
You will find attached the PDF file created with this App. (Go to Attached files)
- Start the app creator
- Select the data source
- Select app template
- Select cells for the calculation
- Add new page for data entry form
- Add cells
- Define cells as input
- Add print functionality
- Create app
- Install your app
The app creation process takes place in the Open as App Creator.
This URL takes you directly to the App Creator: https://www.openasapp.net/index-admin.html#!/apps/wizard/data.
If you do not feel safe with the first steps, we recommend the tutorial: "Create an app from a simple Excel calculation"
You can upload a spreadsheet from your computer or choose an Online stored file (e.g. from your Dropbox).
- Select the Source Excel file.
- After selecting the file, you will be automatically redirected to the next step.
For detailed information about the individual options for uploading files, please see the section Data.
Based on the data in the Excel sheet, the Open as App Wizard automatically suggests 'Calculation' as appropriate template. The additional design process will be adjusted based on this selection. This is important as a calculation app should include other features as a list for example.
On the right side you can see a preview of the template. Please note that the app preview does not displays data from your file yet.
- Select the desired template.
- Confirm your selection by clicking on the 'OK' button.
The step 'design' consists of several sub steps. First you select relevant cells from your spreadsheet.
- Select all the relevant cells of your spreadsheet for the first page of your app. In our case, the input and the important result cells to calculate the license costs. (Input fields for page 2 will be added at a later stage).
- Check the selection in the preview.
- Confirm the step with 'OK'.
Select only cells that you want to be visible in the app. Intermediate steps do not have to be visible in the app in order to ensure proper function of the whole calculation.
In 'Additional Design' you have many options to make your app more professional and efficient.
In this tutorial you will:
- Add a new page to your app
- Add cells from the Excel file to the previously added page
- Edit elements
- Add print functionality
Now some more demanding steps will follow. Take your time to carry this out correctly.
- Go to 'Rearrange Elements'.
- Click the '+' symbol below the elements box.
- Optional: Rename the individual pages in the respective title bar.
Cells are added to the page, which is outlined green in 'Rearrange Elements'.
- Check in 'Rearrange elements' if the desired page (page 2) is selected.
- Click on 'Add cell ' in the menu on the left.
- Select the cell from the Excel spreadsheet.
- Click the 'Add Cell Button.
- You will be automatically redirected to the app preview, where your cell should now be visible.
The cells must be added individually. A "jump back and forth" between the windows is currently unavoidable.
In order to enter values (e.g. the name of your customer) in the app, the elements must be defined as 'string'.
Individual elements are processed using the editor in the 'Preview your app' view. Depending on the item you want to edit, different options will be displayed.
- Simply hover over the header image and enter the editor for this element by clicking on the pencil symbol.
- Click in the preview on the pencil icon.
- Choose 'String' as 'Content Type'.
- 'Input Type' must be 'Input'.
- Confirm the changes by clicking on the checkmark icon.
- Perform this step for each input cell.
By selecting the worksheet with the print area, you enable the print functionality of your app.
- Click on 'Add print functionality'.
- Select the worksheet with the print area.
Now everything is set up. Click 'OK' to proceed to the next step.
- Give your app a name.
- Add some additional information that describes your app best.
- Click 'CREATE MY APP' to finish the process.
Congratulations! Your app is ready to use.
In case you are using Open as App for the first time (or you are not logged in), you will be asked to log in or to create an account.
The sign up process is quick and easy - and of course free of any costs!
You will receive an email that contains a link to your app immediately.
To use your created app, the 'Open as App' app must be installed on your device.
Links to the available versions can be found here: https://www.openasapp.net/get
Logged in users can find all self-created apps in the 'My Apps' view.